Monday 6 July 2009

How to be the center of attention.... Part 1!

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't posted much, I have been busy....
Just a side note I have an up coming launch and if your following me on twitter, you will be one of the first to know about it.

Anyway on to today's subject.

How to be the center of attention without coming off as needy, small ego'd and annoying.

Okay some people I know personally tend to try to be the center of attention and I will be honest, it pisses me off a lot.
They'll do stuff like cut you off half way through a sentence, or interrupt your conversation with someone, etc....

Now there is a way to do this in a friendly manner, this is it to be honest.
Stand there waiting and naturally the party of people will naturally look at you, and when they do and aren't talking, just go ahead and say the thing you wanted to say, if it's relevant, great.
If not then just tell them, "Oh I just wanted to say something but finish up your conversation."

This shows that you honestly care about there conversation and don't want to be rude, winning "points" with them and having them more receptive when you speak.

So let's continue, how to be the center of attention:

If I had to break this down into steps it would be this and I have wrote and spoke on some of these subjects before

1) Reduce Your Social Anxiety

2) Be Self Amused

3) Smile

4) Be interested and interesting

5) Give them more value then they had before you joined them.

6) When leaving say goodbye to all and hug them if possible.

Okay so I will go into some now and some tomorrow and the day after because I don't like to give info overload.......

1) Reduce Your Social Anxiety!

This one is pretty straight forward, the question really is how.

But before that lets quickly recap what S.A is. S.A (Social Anxiety) is a feeling of people judging you, feeling awkward in a social place with other people or things there and/or just feeling a sinking feeling in the gut when next to some people.

This is a very much negative emotional state. Though you can shift it, the keyword here is state, meaning this can be overcome VERY quickly. A person who has low S.A. Is usually classed as more attractive to people, not just in the sense of sexual relationships but in the sense of business relationships, friends and speaking to strangers...

When you have low S.A. you will find a lot of people might stare at you, and because you have low social anxiety, they're more likely to interact positively to you when you speak. The reason is because showing you are not caring of there judgment's, the person subconsciously links you up to be a leader. And people love leaders.

A prime and recent example of this is how I met two lovely people named Hannah and Sandra. I was on my way back from London and thought to start doing my work on the coach. Now Sandra sat across the small aisle from me and Hannah behind her, it was very full. Anyway pretty much I needed some help and the person next to me wouldn't of known the answer because he was asleep.

So I thought, "might as well ask them." So I asked Sandra and Hannah a question and they replied quite normally which was great. Now had I had Social Anxiety, well a lot of it, I would have just waited until I got home and checked and not spoke to them as they are of the opposite gender and that would freak them out. But I thought in the sense of, "Lets ask".

Eventually I did just turn around and speak to them because they seemed fun and we had a great conversation.

So anyway, 1 of the tips I can give you to working on your social anxiety, is speak to sales assistants or the teller at the bank.

Seriously just ask, "how are you today?" Those words are like magic to people because they're shocked because you sincerely mean it and also because most people don't ask.

These people can't be mean to you and if they tease you it just means they are comfortable with you.

So your assignment for this week is to go and speak to sales assistant's and just speak to them and befriend them because that's how you make friends. Eventually you will start feel comfortable and then start speaking to strangers, asking for directions, then start to wait there for 30 seconds and continue a conversation, etc. Build on what you learn.

Okay I will be back soon with more.


Ooh, one last final thing though. Write/Draw out an image of who you want to be, because when you do, act like you were them already, this places a vibe around you that others pick up subconsciously and it really makes things easier.

If you are having trouble with this process, please feel free to email me at adilamarsi@googlemail.com

Bye for now,

Adil

p.s. Please comment and let me know your thoughts
How to be the center of attention.... Part 1!SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments: