Wednesday 29 July 2009

Emersion

Hey guys,

I got an insane story for you guys.

As many of you know I took up studying, in super super super deep depths how the mind of people works and so on and so forth. Now I know one of the best ways to get a good influence on people to educate them is based on emersion, this just means me, you and a few other people all doing the same activity together so it becomes stronger to you.

Now this is the weird thing I noticed recently, for those who have an Xbox 360 or PC version of this game or who have kids who have this game I got totally emersed in it. The game is called "Gears of War". How I got so emersed in it is scary because at one point, after reading a bit of the Gears novel, I started feeling like how some of the characters would feel.

Such as Marcus Fenix (pictured)
He is the game's main character and so on. Anyway his story develops through the first game making the player very curious about him.

The game, btw, is based in an alternate world named Sera, which is like Earth but destroyed because of greed and wars.

Marcus is known in the game as a war hero who is in Prison for abandoning his post to try to save his dad, etc.

Anyway the next Character is Domanic Santiago, life long friend of Marcus Fenix and a guy who is looking for his wife.

Ths is where the emersion begins, ESPECIALLY in gears of war 2. From the get go you are thrown in like you yourself are a Gear.
I think its like act 3 (mission 3) of the first chapter. And you get this cut scene....

After watching this cut scene you feel emersed to just play the game....

I questioned why this was happening and the answer was emersion. Not only did the game make things enjoyable and a way to vent out some level of stress. You have this combination of melding that feeling into your psychology, which is really brilliant because it's seldom happens in games, usually movies or books. The main aim of this, and I am not sure they even knew this effect, was to get you to love the game and merchandise such as hats, bags, beanies, lighters, etc....

It works because on a random guess they've probably shipped millions of dollars in merchandise away from the game alone. Not to mention the fact anytime this game launches, "Gears 1 and Gears 2", The local game shops always have a midnight launch, which I might add nearly sells the entire stock in that time. In some cases, as with Leicester Gamestation, they sold out of there stock of Call of Duty 4 (I only know this because I was there), about 12 times within the first 5 weeks of the game being released..... What's scary is we moved more products of this then any other store.... now back to the lesson...

If you want people to be nicer, more attracted, or just for to be the life of a party, emerse everyone in "your world", get them to see how great it is.

Sorry this post is so everywhere, I've yet to sleep... but please study the video and send me your response in the comments section.

Thanks

Have an awesomely awesome day,

Later days,

Adil
EmersionSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments: