Wednesday 24 June 2009

how to overcome fears using the EGO

Hola All!

Hope you have had a good few days, It's been beautifully hot over in the UK lately.

Anyway I thought to write this blog post up because I had to think of a great way to structure it.

BUT before I go into this post, I want you guys to know if you speak to your ego it helps. I went to a theme park last Friday and those that know me, know I have an immense fear of heights. And my friend decided, "Let's go on all the scary rides to scare the sh*t out of Adil."

I agreed and all the way through the queue I kept telling him how much I hated him for this, he said,
"Dude I was like that but don't worry you will be fine, you'll love me later."

Funnily, I did love the rides and it made me think, if we do things we initially hate, we learn to love them over time, which is pretty cool. Anywho we went on this ride called, Oblivion. Now this is a straight drop, meaning you go up to the highest point. Look over the edge and down at the ground, and are dropped through the roller coaster. I nearly soiled myself, then I told my ego, "Don't be afraid, you aren't going to die." - remember the Ego is a self-preservation mechanism.
Went through with it and conquered my fear of heights...yay for me, zippedy doo da :-).

Now time for the good stuff. :-p

If you noticed I told my ego it wasn't going to die?
Doing so tells my ego to relax and not be all weirded out and scared, thus giving me the strength to actually go ahead and accomplish what I wanted to do, get over my fear of heights.


So How can you apply this simple technique?

Well next time you're scared, if it's to purchase anything or if it's to go out somewhere, to go swimming, skating, surfing, jogging, to the gym, or anywhere positive. Just say to yourself,
"What is it about this that scares me?"

Once you have your answer follow up with telling yourself,
"Hey Ego (you can name yours if you want, no I haven't named mine....yet :p), don't worry we aren't going to die, we are going to be fine."

This is even with approaching a prospect, someone you're interested in dating, anything really.

So just doing those 2 things will help you in fact kick butt at kicking your fears butts!

best wishes,

Adil.

P.S. I am away from Thursday - Monday, If I can I will post on the events :).
how to overcome fears using the EGOSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments: